This is, without a doubt, the best meatloaf I have ever made. There’s lots of meatloaf recipes out there, but none are as savory, mouthwatering and moist as this one. To top it off, you’ll add a super easy dijon/brown sugar glaze that absolutely brings all the flavors together for a country taste you will never forget. So toss aside all those old and tired meatloaf recipes you’ve made in the past and give this one a try.
Meatloaf recipe can contain just about anything from a variety of vegetables to combinations of meat and seasonings. For this recipe, we’re keeping it fairly simple by using just ground beef and the only vegetable we’ll be adding is onion. But, the onion is hardly overpowering. In fact, it’s amazing the flavor it adds! The onions are cooking in a pan beforehand with some butter until they are translucent, which takes less than 10 minutes. The butter and the onions are then added to the meat mixture and with the rest of the simple ingredients, it’s just unbelievable. The richness of the buttermilk, the flavor of the meat with the onions, Worcestershire sauce and the rest of the ingredients creates a meatloaf that is rich, savory, and absolutely full of country flavor.
The glaze added to this meatloaf is equally amazing. Just some brown sugar, cider vinegar and dijon mustard. Glazing the meatloaf when it has about a 1/2 hour to finish is the perfect time to give this glaze just enough time to bake in and create a flavor explosion you won’t soon forget.
Bottom line is, this is my favorite meatloaf ever. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 lbs ground beef (85% lean ground chuck)
- ¾ cups bread crumbs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat and add diced onion. Stir frequently and sautee until onion is translucent - about 7-10 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, buttermilk, ketchup, beaten eggs, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Mix it all together very well with your hands. After it's thoroughly mixed, let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Shape meat mixture into a loaf of approximately 9"x5" and place in a large glass baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes. While meatloaf is baking, use a bowl and mix together brown sugar, cider vinegar and dijon mustard. Brush over top of meatloaf and continue baking for another 30 minutes or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.