How to make steak in the oven
Making a delicious rib eye steak at home is much easier than you may think. You don’t need to fire up the grill every time you want a steak. In fact, this method may be even better. With just a few easy steps, you can make one of the juiciest, most tender steaks you’ve even had – cooked to perfection!
All you’ll need is a cast iron skillet, some olive oil and salt and pepper. The key to preparing the most perfect rib eye steak is to make sure you start with a very hot skillet. This is achieved by placing the skillet, empty, in a 500 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Then a quick sear of the steak on the stovetop, then back in the oven for just 2 minutes each side. After the steak has been seared and spends a few minutes in the oven, you’ll want to let it rest. Resting is essential to allow all the natural juices to settle and remain in the meat. If you take the steak out of the oven and dig right in, you’ll be missing an important part of the process. After removing from the oven, simply place the steak on a plate and cover with aluminum foil for about 5 minutes. It makes all the difference.
Yep, in under 15 minutes you can make a succulent, juicy, perfectly cooked steak without ever having to fire up the grill.
Why haven’t i tried this before? I’ll never make rib eye steak any other way again. This was perfect! ~Paul G., Lawton, OK
My son showed me how to do this and he never have steak any other way. ~Laurie M., Wadesboro, NC
- 1 boneless rib-eye steak, about an inch thick
- Olive oil
- Place cast iron skillet in oven and heat to 500 degrees F. Let pan gat good and hot for about 5 minutes after oven reaches temp.
- Meanwhile, brush steak on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven after it's been heated up and place over high heat on stove burner for about 5 minutes. Place steak in skillet and let sear 30 seconds. Don't touch it while it sears! Then flip it over and sear the other side for another 30 seconds.
- No place skillet with steak in oven and roast for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove skillet from oven and place steak on a plate and cover with foil for 5 minutes before serving.