What Is the Best Southern Coleslaw Recipe?
A southern coleslaw is just like the one that you eat at KFC. In fact, I would say the southern coleslaw tastes slightly better. If you are fond of the KFC coleslaw, then you will go gaga over its southern counterpart.
Why Do We Love This Recipe?
First of all, it hardly takes 5 minutes of preparation to make it. And most importantly, it is creamy, crunchy, tangy, and sweet. The southern coleslaw is by far the best I’ve tasted in my life. And I can assure you, once you taste this coleslaw, you may not want to try another recipe.
What Goes Well With Southern Coleslaw?
Barbecue. And lots of barbecues. It’s like a match made in heaven. A bowl of southern coleslaw and a slow-cooked barbecue-pulled beef sandwich is the combination you need on a lazy Sunday afternoon to make your day. I, for one, don’t fail to make these two recipes at least thrice a month, if not more.
Here are the ingredients you need to make this delicious coleslaw:
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 shredded head cabbage
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Start by shredding the large head of a cabbage. You can use an old fashioned box grater or a knife. Keep the shredded cabbage in a bowl or a 2.5-gallon zip-top bag to avoid any mess.
- The next step is to mix the dressing. Combine apple cider vinegar, sugar, and mayonnaise in a separate bowl. Season this dressing with black pepper, a little bit of celery seed, and kosher salt. Pour this mixture into the zip-top bag. Close the bag and squeeze out as much air as possible. Then toss the bag vigorously to coat the shredded cabbage with the dressing.
- Put the bag in a refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour. This allows the dressing to pull out the moisture from the shredded cabbage, thus providing enough moisture to make the coleslaw mushy.
- You can reduce the moisture from the coleslaw by using tongs to transfer the mixture into a bowl. Otherwise, serve the coleslaw with some hot barbecue and enjoy your meal.
- Pro tip: You can prepare the dressing and cabbage way ahead of time. Don't mix them immediately. Wait until you are ready for your meal. Mix them before an hour and keep it in your refrigerator. Keeping the coleslaw in a zip-top bag makes it easy to transport.
What Is The Best Cabbage For Vegan Southern-Style Coleslaw?
There’s really no specific rule about using a specific type of cabbage in your coleslaw. You can use green, red, or Nappa cabbage separately, or mix them to make a colorful southern coleslaw. I even use Jicama and broccoli stem in my recipe.
Is coleslaw healthy to eat? Should you wash cabbage before making coleslaw?
Yes, you can include coleslaw in your daily diet, provided you don’t use too much mayo in it. And yes, it’s best to wash the cabbage and remove the outer leaves. This leaves only crunchy parts, which is what you need to make your southern coleslaw munchy.