I don’t know about you but pretty much every time I scroll through Pinterest I see a Brownie recipe of some kind. I am not complaining; I love Brownies! Especially peanut butter brownies. Denser than cake, but not as dense as a biscuit I view Brownies as having that perfect, in-between gooey consistency.
In all my Brownie recipe viewing and pinning I have yet to see a peanut butter variety, so when I saw this beauty in one of my Grandma’s recipe books I was keen to give it a try. Peanut Butter Brownies (with marshmellow and dark chocolate) are a fun spin on a classic favourite. To me, they taste a bit like a Snickers Bar. To my brother-in-law they tasted like burnt caramel (he’s actually not a peanut butter fan but he liked these). Either way, they taste good! My husband and son preferred these Peanut Butter Brownies to regular brownies. You might also want to checkout this amazing Nutty Brownie recipe for nut lovers.
In my first test run I cooked the Brownies for 30 minutes. This resulted in the peanut butter still being a little stretchy and soft. In my second shot I cooked my brownies for just over 35 minutes. They were starting to overly darken, but did result in that lovely burnt caramel flavour my brother-in-law commented on. This was because the peanut butter turned into more of a toffee-like consistency with the longer baking. So, vary your cook time depending on your preferred flavour and consistency. Have some fun!
*Note = if you don’t have a double saucepan, just use a heatproof bowl over simmering water.
- 4oz. (110g) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2oz. (55g) dark chocolate
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- For Filling:
- 2oz. (55g) marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg, beat well.
- Melt chocolate in top of double saucepan over simmering water.
- Add to creamed mixture with vanilla; beat well.
- For filling put all filling ingredients in top of double saucepan, stir over simmering water until marshmallows are melted then Remove from heat.
- Press half of cake mixture over base of greased, lined 8in. (20cm) square slab tin with paper extending ½in. (1cm) above tin.
- Spread marshmellow filling over.
- Spoon remaining cake mixture, then spread evenly.
- Bake in oven at 350F (180C) for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in tin before turning out.