I ended up making these Nutty Brownies with my eldest, Abraham, and my third child, Eden. Abraham is nine and is great at completing most of the steps independently. Eden is only 3 but is very careful with measuring and stirring, so there was plenty for her to do also. It was simple! That’s the beauty of brownies: a bit of this and a bit of that; stir and you’re done. I was also interested in the twist that this brownie recipe offers. After a recent health kick, I have recently fallen in love with walnuts so I was doubly keen to make these beauties.
I placed the Nutty brownies on the bottom of the oven as I knew that this is the best way to bake cakes, etc. in order for them to stay moist. I chose to bake my Nutty Brownies for the lesser amount of 30 mins as we usually like them extra gooey. They seemed all good but it turned out that the centre was too undercooked. This is usually a win when it comes to brownies but in this case, it wasn’t ideal, they just seemed eggy or something.
These Nutty brownies were lighter than the usual dense brownies I’m used to, a bit sweeter too. They weren’t indulgent or chocolatey enough for me, so in terms of brownies, they are a miss from me. My husband thought they tasted more like a bar/slice and he was happy with them. If you enjoy sweet, light bars/slices then these brownies are for you. Perfect with a cup of tea as an afternoon snack. Enjoy!
If you are a brownie lover, check out this amazing peanut butter brownie. You will surely love it.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3oz. (85 grams) butter or substitute
- 2oz. (55 grams) dark chocolate
- ¾ cup all purpose (plain flour)
- ½ cup chopped sultanas
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Beat eggs lightly.
- Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix well.
- Melt chocolate in top of double saucepan over simmering water.
- Add chocolate to egg mixture with melted butter. Mix well.
- Stir in sifted flour, sultanas and walnuts.
- Pour into greased 8in. (20cm) slab tin which is lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake in moderate oven 30 to 35 minutes.