The older I get the more I realise I am my father’s daughter. Up until two years ago, he owned and ran a flower farm on my parents’ 17 acre property. This meant he was a busy man and didn’t get to spend much time on hobbies or pursuits outside from work. Now that he’s retired, I have watched his passion for cooking and good food materialise. It is from his DNA (my mum would rather walk the dog) that I have my own love of the kitchen and all the freshness and flavours that country cooking bring to the table – such as this mushroom bolognese recipe.
Originally from Guernsey (one of the Channel Islands), my dad takes his inspiration from Mediterranean cooking. Mediterraneans certainly ‘cook with love’, taking time and using simple, quality ingredients. This method of cooking translates well to the country kitchen. ‘Papa’s Pasta’ is my father’s version of the traditional Italian favourite, Spaghetti Mushroom Bolognese.
He cooked this meal for our family on a recent holiday we went on. My parents, husband and children all stayed together in an apartment in a heavenly place called, Dunsborough (in south Western Australia). Each evening we gathered around an enormous table to share dinner that one of us had prepared. Papa was so enthusiastic about cooking his pasta with love, he got started it midway through the Australian equivalent of the Super Bowl final–the AFL grand final. We were all cheering away in the lounge room, and football loving Papa was in the kitchen browning ground beef and chopping mushrooms!
After we all enjoyed reliving the fairytale finish to the AFL year, our family gathered around the table to enjoy the fruits of Papa’s labor. We couldn’t help but want to share the recipe here. We hope you enjoy Papa’s Pasta (mushroom bolognese) as much as we do!
- 1.1 lbs (500g) lean ground beef (mince)
- 4 Tomatoes
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 15 Mushrooms
- 1.1 pints (525g) Fresh Bolognese Sauce (no artificial preservatives, flavours or colours)
- 6/7 Sprigs Parsley
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Half Glass Red Wine
- 340g Spaghetti
- Rock Salt
- Add generous splash of extra-virgin olive oil to a skillet and add finely chopped mushrooms with 3-4 crushed garlic cloves. Simmer for 4-5 minutes add ground pepper and sprinkle of rock salt.
- In a separate medium sized skillet, add generous splash extra virgin olive oil and place ground beef with sprinkle of rock salt & ground pepper. Brown.
- Add mushrooms to ground beef and add Bolognese sauce. Stir and simmer.
- Put the 4 finely chopped tomatoes in original skillet with liberal amount of olive oil and sprinkle of ground pepper and rock salt, simmering for 3-4 minutes.
- Put large pot on stove with choice of spaghetti (gluten free, home made etc.). Add rock salt to 5 quarts (litres) water with 750lbs (340g) spaghetti. Boil for 10-11 minutes for perfect 'al dente'.
- When tomatoes are ready, add them to other ingredients. Then add ½ glass red wine plus finely chopped parsley and allow to simmer till spaghetti is ready and table is set!
- Serve and garnish with finely chopped parsley and shaved Parmesan cheese. Perfecto!!!!!