This mud cake recipe is sure to please the entire family. It includes a delicious combination of marshmallows and chopped peacans. Enjoy this Mississippi style mud cake as an indulgent desert for the family or impress your guests.
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and use a spatula to gently fold it together until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake is firm to the touch.
- Remove the cake from the oven and evenly spread the miniature marshmallows over the top. Return to the oven for 5 more minutes to melt the marshmallows. They will be puffy and lightly browned.
- For frosting, in a bowl, cream the butter with the confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla,cocoa and enough milk to achieve the wanted frosting consistency. Spread over the marshmallow layer. Spread the chopped pecans on top of the frosting then store in the refrigerator.