Quick to make. Delicious. Good for you. It’s hard to find a recipe that matches all three of these qualities. This Italian Omelette just might be it.
For those nights when you are running out of time and just need to make something fast that everyone loves, try this recipe. Most ingredients you will have in your pantry already, except for probably the Tomato Chutney. So perhaps plan ahead and get some tomato chutney and a dozen eggs and keep this recipe on standby for a busy night this week.
They also make a great breakfast, lunch or snack. So easy and versatile that you can have them any time.
It’s not often that all four of our children love a meal, but when they tried these Italian Omelettes the plates were literally licked clean! They found the combination of flavours of sweet chutney, egg, ham and cheese delicious. And I’m sure you and your family will too. From our family to yours.
- 3 oz butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 slices of ham
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 tablespoons of tomato chutney
- 4 oz grated cheese
- Melt 1 oz butter in a pan, add onion and fry until soft and remove from heat
- Cut ham into strips and set aside
- In a separate bowl lightly beat eggs with 4 tablespoons of water, season with salt and pepper
- Add onions to egg mix
- Melt 1 oz butter In a 7 to 8 inch omelette pan on a low heat, and add in egg mixture until pan is thinly covered with the mixture
- As the edges of the mixture cook, use a fork to push the edges into the middle of the pan and tilt the pan to allow some of the wet mixture in the middle to flow to the edge. Repeat this until the omlette is mostly cooked
- On one half of the omelette, quickly add some of the tomato chutney, tomatoes, ham and cheese (reserve some for remaining mixture)
- Fold the other half of the omelette over the topping and allow the remaining wet mixture is cooked through and then remove from pan.
- Repeat from step 5 above until you use up all your egg mixture and ingredients.