We are blessed to have my mother-in-law visit our home fortnightly for cooking lessons with my kids. Sometimes her or I suggest a recipe, and sometimes we let my children pick. This was one of their picks…. My daughter, Ruby’s eye light up at indulgence dessert recipes, so Ice-cream Pavlova was an obvious choice! If you, like Ruby, enjoy decadent desserts—this one’s for you.
To begin with Rose (my mother-in-law) and Ruby carefully separated the eggs (we doubled this recipe), with a few failed attempts along the way. They then carefully measured all the remaining ingredients and combined them in the mixing bowl to mix away for 15 minutes. They enjoyed this process and taking turns with the beaters to see how a goopy mixture transforms into a mini, glossy mountain range.
Next came the spreading of the meringue onto the prepared baking trays. As already mentioned, we had doubled our mixture but it still seemed very thin to spread out to the suggest circle diameters. I suggest halving the size of the circles, as our meringues ended up quite large and we needed to go halves with each serving. Although a more appropriate serving size, a full diameter of meringue at the suggested size may be too thin.
After the baking time was complete, we allowed the meringues to cool in the oven and went on with making the chocolate sauce. Yum! We made two batches of sauce: one kid-friendly made with milk chocolate, cream and no rum; and the other adult-friendly with dark chocolate, cream and rum. So good! We found our sauces were a little thick and not smooth enough, so we added extra cream. Play around with the quantities until you have a sauce that you like the look and flavour of.
Finally, it was time to assemble and eat. The kids eyes grew wide as we added vanilla ice-cream to the tops of our meringues and then finished them off with chocolate sauce. Delicious! A full on dessert, but one to enjoy as a special treat when you want to create a wide-eyed memorable response. Enjoy!
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- Few drops vanilla
- ½ tps vinegar
- ½ tps cornflour
- 2 tbs boiling water
- 4oz. (115gms) dark chocolate
- 1 tbs rum
- 2 tbs cream
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl of electric mixer.
- Beat on high speed 15 minutes.
- Line baking tray with aluminium foil, or grease tray and dust with cornflour.
- Spread mixture in approx. 5in. (13cm) circles on prepared tray.
- Bake in moderately slow oven 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to slow, bake further 30 minutes.
- Cool in oven.
- Top cold pavlova cases with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, then with Chocolate Sauce.
- Melt chopped chocolate in top of double saucepan over hot water.
- Stir in rum and cream, blend well until smooth.