Fried Green Tomatoes – golden, delicious fried tomatoes straight from the South! If you have been to a cafe in the South you may have seen this these on the menu. Well now you can make them in your own home. The trick to this recipe is to use a good quality vegetable oil that will make the tomatoes taste delicious.
You can also fry up red tomatoes with this Fried Green Tomatoes recipe but make sure they are not over ripe or they will be mushy. Serve these tomatoes outside with a glass of iced tea one summer night and enjoy the sunset with someone you love.
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes ½ inch thick. Discard the ends.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.
- In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is ½ inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat. Place tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the size of your skillet. Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other. When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the other side. Drain them on paper towels.