It’s cold here in Australia. Winter is almost done, and while the days are longer the temperature stays bitterly low (at least to a cold frog like me!). It makes me feel like baking and cooking nourishing, warming food. Food to warm the belly and provide the needed nourishment to ward off winter nasties. Perfect weather for this delicious Extra Special Vegetable Soup!
There is a fair bit of chopping required for this soup as it includes a butt load of vegetables. So, for me, a Sunday afternoon was the right day for me to get stuck into this recipe. We had had a busy week, so while the kids chilled out in front of a movie I sat at the table and got chopping. I enjoyed watching my pile of veggies grow, knowing that all that goodness would be helping to restore myself and my family.
When the cooking was complete, I sautéed all the veg, added the water and headed out for a walk while it simmered for 1 hour. Upon return, I had the the kids in the bath and added the rice and macaroni (I had accidentally added the potato earlier). I then chopped the bacon and herbs. When the these were added, out of the bath came the kids. They dressed and prepared the table while I seasoned and served our soup. On went the cheese and it was time to tuck in!
As there was minimal liquid, Grandma’s Extra Special Vegetable Soup ended up more like a casserole than a soup. Still, it tasted delicious. It was warming and flavourful, and enjoyable for all. A perfect Sunday night restorative dinner. We hope it nourishes you as it did us. Enjoy!
- 2lbs (1kg) diced vegetables—carrots, leeks, celery, cabbage, turnips, etc.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼lb (125gms) green beans, cut up
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs butter
- 7½ cups water
- 2 tbs rice
- ½ cup macaroni
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- ¼lb (115gms) lean bacon, sliced
- Grated cheese
- Saute all veg in butter in large saucepan for 20 mins over a low heat.
- Add water and cook 1 hour.
- Add rice, macaroni and potatoes and cook for another 20 mins or until cooked.
- Add bacon and herbs and cook a further 15 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with grated cheese.