This easy French Onion Soup recipe has got all the makings of soup you’d get in a restaurant. So much better than canned soup, this recipe uses just a few easy ingredients and steps.
French onion soup is known for it’s wonderful, gooey cheese and bread topping and this recipe has it all. One step that makes things a little easier is to cut the French bread slices into cubes, then add generous amounts of mozzarella cheese. Make sure you have some good oven-proof soup bowls. The best way to get that golden brown bubbly cheese is to place bowl under the broiler for just a couple of minutes. Watch it closely and the results will be phenomenal.
- 4 cups of sliced onions
- ¼ cup margarine
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup beef bouillon
- 6 slices of French bread, cubed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large sauce pan, saute the onions in margarine until tender and caramelized. Sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly.
- Add beef bouillon and water, stir well and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour soup into oven proof bowls, add french bread on top of soup in each bowl and then cover generously with mozzarella cheese.Place bowl under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.