Delicious, fluffy country-style French toast is much easier to make than you think. The key is to use real butter melted on a preheated skillet or griddle. Restaurant-style french is usually made with thick sliced “Texas toast“. Most supermarkets carry brand name Texas toast and is perfect for this recipe. Bakeries can also thick slice your favorite freshly baked bread and that’s a wonderful option as well.
How to Make the Best French Toast
When you dunk the bread into the mixture, you don’t have to let it soak up like a sponge. Rather, dunk the bread so that both sides are generously coated with the egg mixture. Also, when it’s cooking on the skillet, you can use the back of your spatula to gently press down on the center of the bread pieces just to make sure it’s all coming into contact with the heated surface. Sometimes the crust makes more contact so doing this ensures a nice even golden brown on the entire surface of the bread.
When serving french toast add some pats of whipped butter and powdered sugar. And of course, if you have 100% pure maple syrup, I assure it makes all the difference in making this a true country style french toast.
Country French Toast FAQs
Country French toasts are so easy to make! It’s easy to whip up a slice for a yummy breakfast or whenever you’re just craving for it. But sometimes, you get #countryFrenchtoastfail.
Listed are some of the reasons why your country French toast is a disaster.
How Much Should the Egg and Milk be Mixed?
Make sure to whisk the milk and egg custard. Not mixing it can lead to specks of white or golden yolk on your bread. It will also taste eggier too if the custard isn’t mixed thoroughly.
How Thick Should the Bread Be?
The perfect bread for French toast should be spongy. However, it should still be strong enough to hold itself so it won’t fall apart during cooking. A very thin bread will be flimsy and will disintegrate. A bread slice that’s too thick will have an uneven flavour since it won’t soak all the way to the centre.
Brioche, Pullman, and challah are perfect slices of bread for French toast. And if you’re using French bread, limit the size of the slice to around ¾ to 1 inch thick.
How Much Should the Bread Be Soaked?
Your bread has to have a good soak of the custard to develop a good flavour, but avoid over-soaking it. A good 15 seconds with gentle pressure should be enough.
- 8 slices Texas toast (thick sliced bread)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.
- Using a large bowl, beat eggs with vanilla extract, milk and salt.
- Melt butter on skillet/griddle.
- Place bread into batter to coat one side. Flip over and repeat with other side.You don't want to soak the bread, just have each side coated well with the batter.
- Place on griddle/skillet until nicely browned - usually about 1 minute per side.
- Serving suggestion: Country French toast is perfect with a pat of butter, lightly covered with powdered and served with pure maple syrup.