Mama used to make the most unbelievable cupcakes for all of us. We always looked forward to these delightful treats for 2 reasons… the cupcakes were of course, delicious, but it was the frosting that was heavenly. It didn’t matter if she was making chocolate cakes, yellow cakes, cupcakes or even cinnamon rolls, mama’s icing/frosting was the star of the show.
The recipe is surprising simple. With just 4 easy ingredients, you can make a batch of this delectable frosting for any of your sweet treats. The secret ingredient for this frosting recipe is orange juice. Yep, OJ. Just 2 tablespoons of orange juice. The frosting doesn’t take on an orange flavor, but rather the acid and the sweetness accentuate the natural flavor of the frosting to create an awesome and rich flavor. Just be sure to make enough, because you will most certainly be “enjoying” some straight from the bowl.
- 8oz cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix together cream cheese and softened butter in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, vanilla and orange juice. Use an electric hand mixer and beat until smooth creamy consistency.
- Spread generously on your favorite cupcakes, cakes and other sweet delights!