Crawfish Pie is one of those recipes perfect for entertaining guests. Straight from New Orleans to you, this recipe is loaded with hearty vegetables and that delicious, sweet crawfish tail meat. There is a bit of heat in there with the spices, so if you are making this for the kids you might want to hold back on the spices.
This dish makes great comfort food. With infused flavours of seafood and vegetables throughout the dish the flavours combine for something truly delicious. Try it today as a way to entertain guests or get the kids eating some vegetables.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- ½ cup bell peppers, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 pound peeled crawfish tails
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pie crust (9 inch)
- reheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat and add the celery, onions, bell peppers, cayenne, black pepper, white pepper and salt. Cook and stir for about 8 minutes until golden and tender.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley and the crawfish tails, cooking for about 3 more minutes and reduce the heat to medium low, to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl whisk water and flour together, until the mixture is smooth and add to the skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes to finish thickening.
- Place the crust in a deep dish pie plate and crimp the edges. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Cool for several minutes before serving.