How to make country sausage gravy
This easy to make sausage gravy recipe is perfect for your next homemade breakfast of biscuits and gravy. Does it get any better for a delicious country-style breakfast? You don’t have to travel to a crowded restaurant on a Saturday or Sunday morning to enjoy biscuits and gravy. With this easy recipe, you’ll be making the best biscuits and gravy you’ve ever had. The key to this recipe is using maple flavored sausage. A 12oz package of maple syrup flavored breakfast sausage patties or links works perfectly. After you cook them in a skillet, remove them and cut/crumble into small pieces to later be added to the easy gravy you’ll make. For the biscuits, you can use simple biscuit mix and follow the package directions or use store made biscuits. I like to get the store made biscuits from the bakery section of my supermarket. They make them fresh all the time and it cuts down a step in making this awesome breakfast recipe.
- 1 12oz package of maple flavored breakfast sausage
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cook sausage in a large skillet. Remove and set aside, leaving any drippings in skillet.
- Using medium heat, melt butter in the skillet with the drippings. Once melted, add flour and mix until nice and smooth.
- Slowly mix in milk and keep stirring or whisking until all is a nice and even consistency.
- Take the sausage and crumble into pieces and stir into to mixture. Also add pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If gravy gets too thick, stir in a little more milk.
- Serve over warm biscuits
For something different, try the chicken pepper gravy recipe which is very easy to prepare with the most common ingredients.