Let’s face it – the chicken fried steak is one of the most delicious foods that one person could try. Don’t believe me? Try for yourself!
What if I told you that now you can make your favorite dish even yummier?
What do you say about chicken fried steak with creamy gravy on top?
About This Recipe
When it comes to food versatility, there is nothing like fried steak. It can be prepared in different ways, from breakfast platters to delicious burgers. You can serve it for lunch or dinner with mashed potatoes or veggies.
This Southern delicacy is served everywhere – from home dinners to elite five-star restaurants. After all, there is something addictive about warm, crispy food served with your choice of potatoes.
Some will say that there is nothing else in the world like it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before you heat the oven, take a look at these FAQs.
What Steak Should I Use?
You can use any steak you want. Most people use cube steak because of its tenderness. You can also find a steak made from pork.
The preparation is similar to that of fried chicken.
Where Did Chicken Fried Steak Come From?
Believe it or not, chicken fried steaks can be found in Southern cookbooks and guides that date back to the 1800s.
Why Is It Called Chicken Fried Steak?
Chicken Fried Steak isn’t made with chicken. The reason why it is called chicken fried steak is that the steak is fried the same way a piece of chicken is fried. The original Chicken Fried Steak is made with cube steak.
- 225g cube steak
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose or seasoned flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 110˚C.
- Pound the steak to thick pieces and season with salt & pepper. Mix the eggs and 1 cup of milk. In another dish, mix the 2 cups of flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Deep the steaks in the flour and then in the egg mixture. Let the coating dry out for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 190˚C.
- Fry the steaks for 3 minutes until they are crispy. Flip them and cook on the other side for 3 more minutes. Transfer the steaks to a baking sheet and season with salt.
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Black pepper
- Mashed potatoes or veggies (for serving)
- Add ¼ cup of grease and heat it. When it is hot, sprinkle the flour over. Mix the flour with the grease until you get a golden-brown paste. If it looks greasy, add more flour. Keep cooking until it reaches a deep golden-brown color.
- Pour in the milk, the seasoned salt, and black pepper. Mix until the gravy is thick, for about 10 minutes.
- Serve the meat next to mashed potatoes or veggies. Pour gravy over.
No matter what way you choose to prepare it, your country fried steak will be absolutely delicious.