This country classic chicken noodle soup is so easy to make and is the perfect CrockPot recipe. There are really no hard and fast rules when it comes to making chicken soup. All the measurements and ingredients in this recipe will make an outstanding chicken noodle soup. But, if you like carrots, add more carrots. If you really like celery, add more celery. If you like onion, add more onion… it’s really all that simple.
Any chicken soup will start with chicken stock or broth. For this recipe we’re using a mix of both regular and low-sodium chicken broth. You can certainly use any combination of this you’d like, but i’ve found this combination really makes for an outstanding flavor, without being overwhelmed by salt.
The herbs used in the recipe are thyme, rosemary, sage and celery seed. These herbs really accentuate that classic flavor of chicken soup you all know and love and all are readily available on the spice rack of most supermarkets.
The chicken for this recipe couldn’t be easier – it cooks right in the CrockPot! This really makes the whole recipe super simple.
Two things that are very important… remove the chicken at the end of cooking and let it rest on a cuting board for 10 minutes before cutting into desired sized pieces. And most importantly, the noodles don’t go in until the very end. The “No-Yolks” broad-sized noodles are the best, but feel free to use any noodles you like. Just remember that you’re not adding them until the last 15 minutes of the entire cooking time.
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups regular chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp celery seed, finely crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Add boneless, skinless chicken breasts to CrockPot with carrots, celery, onion, rosemary, celery seed, sage, thyme and pepper. Drizzle with oil and add chicken broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove chicken and place on plate. Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into small pieces for soup. In the meantime, add noodles and parsley to CrockPot and cook on high for 10 more minutes. Add diced chicken into CrockPot and your soup is ready to serve!