Classic potato salad is a staple at American barbecues, picnics, potlucks, parties and events. Wherever their is a gathering of people and food is being served, potato salad is a likely dish being served.
There are all kinds of potato salad recipes for one to experiment and enjoy. But when it comes down to it, the simple classic approach if often the best. And with just a couple of key things, you can make this classic potato salad and be the star of any event where potato salad is part of the company! How do we make this so good? Simple – make sure to use a “waxy” potato such as new red potatoes or Yukon Gold. These types of potatoes are less starchy and provide a better texture for a salad recipe. Also, use Miracle Whip as opposed to traditional mayonnaise. Also, don’t go too heavy on the onion. A little goes a long way to accenting the flavor without overpowering it.
Give this classic potato salad recipe a try. You’re gonna love it!
- 1½ lbs of waxy potatoes. Yukon Gold or new red potatoes are best
- ½ cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Peel potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add to a large pot of salted boiling water. Boil potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender but still firm (test with a fork). Drain potatoes and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes with Miracle Whip, parsley and onions. Mix well. Referigerate until ready to serve.
- Tip: Potato salad is best served at room temperature. Take potato salad out of fridge about 30 minutes before serving/