This chicken pepper gravy recipe is the perfect gravy for chicken dishes of all kinds. Roast chicken, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and more It’s a true southern style cream gravy that is the basis of so many traditional southern recipes.
Chicken pepper gravy uses very common ingredients and is one of the easiest gravy recipes you will ever make. The ingredients are milk, butter, flour, ground black pepper and salt. That’s it!
If you have the opportunity to use fresh cracked (ground) pepper, it really makes a difference. Freshly grinding pepper with a pepper mill releases oils that add a great deal to the true flavor and aroma of the pepper. Of course you can still use pre-ground pepper, but if you have a pepper mill, go for the fresh cracked pepper to make this savory and delicious gravy.
If you’re looking for the easiest, most delicious chicken pepper gravy recipe, this is it.
Serves: 3 cups
- 2½ cups of whole milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ tablespoons coursley ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until it turns light brown and then slowly add milk and continue stirring until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper, stir, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.