Here’s a nice easy classic recipe for chicken parmesan. What I love so much about this recipe is that you can make a big homemade meal which is absolutely delicious, in just a few easy steps. I mean, chicken, pasta, cheese… does it get any better than that?
To make things easy I like to use the individually wrapped frozen chicken breasts which I always buy when they’re on sale. These are perfect for a couple of reasons: they are the perfect size and they require no trimming. You can certainly use fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but keep in mind that fresh ones are usually very large and don’t always cook as easily. If using fresh chicken breasts, you may want to butterfly cut them in half. This is easily done by placing them on a cutting board and holding them down flat with your palm. The slice through the chicken horizontally and open it like a book. This will make them much easier to cook and are the ideal size. Now if you’re using the packaged frozen breasts, just let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight and you’re all good to go.
Breading the chicken is super easy and part of what makes the recipe so delicious. You can use shallow dishes or even paper plates or paper bowls if you want less cleanup afterwards. Another step saver is to cook the spaghetti ahead of time, and just have it ready to heatup and serve when the chicken parmesan is done.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14oz) jar of spaghetti sauce
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Start by pounding the chicken breasts to an even thickness of ¼ - ½ inch. Use a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- The set out 2 shallow dishes - 1 for the flour, 1 for the beaten eggs and the last one for the breadcrumbs.
- Coat chicken breasts in the flour, then dunk in egg, then coat it up with the breadcrumbs.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken to hot skillet and brown each side for 2-3 minutes each.
- Place browned chicken in a 13 x 9 glass baking dish. Pour spaghetti sauce over chicken and cover each piece with 1 or 2 slices of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti.