I first saw this chicken noodle casserole recipe in one of my grandmother’s recipe books. The recipe was actually called “Lazy Day Chicken”. Now that’s a loaded title if ever there was one…
Lazy-day—what’s that?? As a mother of three young children, I can’t say lazy days are something I experience. They are somewhat of a distant memory (and a looked-forward to future indulgence!). So, if you are fall into the same category as I do you may want to rename this chicken noodle casserole recipe ‘No-time-to-cook Chicken’.
Either way, I believe most people appreciate effortless, simple meals that taste great. Lazy-day Chicken (aka NTTC Chicken) is about as simple as you can get. Open a few packets and stir is about as complicated as it gets. On top of that, each member of my family really enjoyed the meal (a feat in itself). Perfect for the days when time is of the premium but you don’t want to buy take-out.
I recommend cooking up a couple of extra packets of noodles to bulk up the meal. Some steamed green vegetable would make a nice (and healthy) addition also. Broccoli, kale, green beans or mushrooms would all be welcome additions to this chicken noodle casserole recipe. So go on, be creative and add some of your favourite vegetables to this recipe and enjoy!
- 2½ lb (I.4 kg) skinless chicken pieces
- ½ pint (240g) sour cream
- 15¼ ounce (430g) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- ½ cup water
- Packaged crisp fried noodles
- Put chicken pieces into deep ovenproof dish. Combine sour cream, chicken soup, onion soup, and water in bowl. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and bake in moderate oven 1½ hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle over crisp noodles 10 minutes before end of cooking time, leave uncovered.