Do you ever crave homemade cheesecake, but can’t bear the wait for it to set? This Caramel Cream Pie is a good alternative, with a much quicker set time. (One hour, compared to overnight.). Utilising the same base as a cheesecake, this Caramel Cream Pie uses Instant pudding mixture in the filling to accelerate the set time. It’s also lighter (more mousse-like) than cheesecake if you prefer a dessert that isn’t so heavy.
My children chose this recipe to trial, and it didn’t disappoint. I doubled the recipe and served two pies as a Sunday night treat when my parents and sister came over for dinner. We all enjoyed it, and I had enough remaining ingredients to whip up another Caramel Cream Pie for my neighbour who had just given birth to baby #7! I thought the flavours and consistency would be her jam and would help out in those early, fuzzy few weeks of newborn, breast-feeding life when you are craving comfort-eating big time.
As I thought, she loved it! And I was glad I could help out in some small way to bring strength at this stretching time.
My Caramel Cream Pie was actually a Butterscotch Cream Pie as the stocks on our shelves at the Supermarkets are low, and no caramel instant pudding or sundae dessert mix could be found. It worked well! I think you could use chocolate also if you struggle to find other flavours.
This Caramel Cream Pie is simple to make, economical and open to adjustments. I recommend making it if you feel like something decadent but also light. Enjoy!
- 6oz. (170g) Plain sweet biscuits
- 3oz. (85g) Butter
- ½ pint (285ml) cold milk
- 2½oz. (70g) Packet caramel sundae dessert or instant pudding
- ¼ pint (140ml) cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In food processor, crush biscuits finely.
- Add melted butter and combine well.
- Press crumb mixture over base and sides of 8in. (20cm) pie plate.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Put milk in bowl and sprinkle caramel dessert over.
- Beat with electric mixer or rotary beater for 2 minutes or until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Whip cream and sugar together and fold into caramel mixture.
- Pour caramel cream into crumb crust.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.