Unless you have unimaginable resistance for tasty things, after the first time you taste some delicious Buffalo Chicken Dip, you’re guaranteed to get hooked. Buffalo Chicken Dip is an addictive tangy creamy appetizer primarily made of cheese, flavourful buffalo chicken wings, and sauce. It is an iconic dish in the U.S, and a popular serving, especially during the Super Bowl. Explore how to make this mouthwatering appetizer for your friends and family for any special occasion by reading this perfect recipe.
And since I don’t want to you to miss out on another amazing recipe, make sure to check out Buffalo Chicken Crockpot recipe right after this. You can thank me later.
History of the Recipe
But First things first, how did the delicious buffalo chicken dip come to be? It was invented in 1964 after Dominic Bellissimo arrived home unannounced with some of his friends from school. His mother, Teressa Bellissimo, and father, Frank Bellissimo owned a bar, the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York. At the time, chicken wings were considered undesirable chicken parts, primarily used to make sauces and soups, yet Teresa had received a wrong order and had uncountable wings at her bar. What to do? How about inventing one of the most delicious American recipes!
She sought to fix something fast and easy, and since the wings were available in surplus, she deep-fried them and tossed them in Cayenne hot sauce. Soon, buffalo wings were on the menu, and competitors also adopted the idea and ran with it. This marked the start of an evolution for many buffalo wing recipes as appetizers in bars and restaurants. One of these was the buffalo chicken dip, which tastes just as tasty as buffalo chicken wings.
What Can You Eat with This Recipe?
Being a versatile dish, it will go with pretty much anything. It’s best served hot with crackers, sliced cucumber, potato chips, crusty bread chips, celery sticks, carrot sticks, capsicum sticks, and sliced cucumber.
- ½ can chunk chicken, drained
- ½ package cream cheddar cheese or any other softened cheese
- 1 tablespoon Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream and Ranch dressing
- ¼ bunch celery, cleaned and cut into 4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons green onions
- Crackers, bread pieces, etc.
- Blue Cheese (optional)
- Arrange the oven rack to the middle of your oven then preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Melt the butter on an ovenproof pan then fry the garlic until it's fragrant. Toss in the chicken, and hot sauce then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat then slowly add in the cream cheese and ranch dressing then stir until the mixture is uniform.
- Take off the pan from the fire, top with the cheese of your choice then bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- After the cheese has melted and there's bubbling around the edges, grill for 1 more minute to brown the top.
- Garnish with some green onions and blue cheese if you like.
- Serve with crackers, bread, or vegetable sticks.
Will rotisserie chicken make great buffalo chicken dip?
Sure. Precooked rotisserie chicken is actually preferred for delicious buffalo chicken dip. Use 2 forks to pull apart or cut it into cubes and toss it into the mixture.
Can I use a regular pan if I don’t have an oven-proof pan?
Yes. Use a regular pan on the stove then transfer this mixture into a baking dish.